Gillingham Neighbourhood Plan
The Gillingham Neighbourhood Plan was officially 'made' by North Dorset District Council on 27 July 2018.
Following a majority 'yes' vote in the referendum, the decision was taken to make the Gillingham Neighbourhood Plan part of the development plan for the Gillingham neighbourhood area.
This decision statement and the adopted Gillingham Neighbourhood Plan are available online and can be inspected at South Walks House, South Walks Road, Dorchester DT1 1UZ (8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday).
The plan and the proposed modifications were reported to a NDDC Cabinet meeting on 29 May 2018. Members decided that the neighbourhood plan, as modified, could proceed to referendum. The referendum took place on 12 July 2018. A majority (91%) voted for North Dorset District Council to use the neighbourhood plan to help decide planning applications in Gillingham. Please see below for documents relevant to the referendum.
David Kaiserman (BA Dip TP MRTP) issued his report on the submitted Gillingham Neighbourhood Plan on 4 April 2018. He concluded that provided the recommended modifications are made, the plan would meet the basic conditions. He therefore recommended that the plan, as modified, should proceed to a referendum.
Submission for Examination
In accordance with Regulation 17 of The Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012, the submitted plan, supporting documents, and all representations received during the 6-week consultation period were sent to an Independent Examiner (David Kaiserman). The Examiner considers whether the plan meets certain basic conditions, satisfies legal requirements, and will identify an appropriate area for a referendum.
Consultation on the submitted plan
Regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012 requires North Dorset District Council to publicise and invite representations on the plan before the examination takes place. The consultation period was between Thursday 4 January 2018 and Thursday 15 February 2018. During this period, the following representations were received:
Detailed maps extracted from the GNP submission draft
Supporting evidence - chapters 1 to 4
Supporting evidence - chapter 5
Supporting evidence - chapter 6
Supporting evidence - chapters 7 to 9
- Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Draft Waste Plan Update (2016)
- Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Workspace Strategy (2016)
- Get Britain Cycling (All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group, 2013)
- Gillingham Royal Forest Project news article (Gillingham News, 2017)
- Gillingham Station Road Development Brief - Consultation Draft (2001)
- Gillingham Station Road Development Brief - Report on consultation and proposed changes (2002)
- Manual for Streets 2 (CIHT, 2010)
- The Portas Review of High Streets (M. Portas, 2011)
- Notes from meeting with South West Trains (GTC, 2015)
- North Dorset Employment Land Review (NDDC, 2007)
- North Dorset Guide to Shopfront Design (NDDC, 2014)
- Joint Retail Assessment - Volume 1 (NLP, 2008)
- Joint Retail Assessment - Volume 2 (NLP, 2008)
- Network Rail Information (GTC, 2016)
Supporting evidence - chapter 10
Supporting evidence - chapter 11
Supporting evidence - chapters 12 to 13