Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Find out if you need planning permission


If you are thinking about any work you should contact your local council about permitted development.

Some minor domestic alterations and extensions can be done without planning permission. This work is known as permitted development. Other work, particularly non-domestic development is likely to need permission.

Whether you need to apply for planning permission will depend on a number of factors. These include:

  • what you want to do

  • where you want to do it

  • the constraints on and around your property

  • any work that may have been previously done

For a brief overview of these factors please see the Planning Portal Interactive House.

Find out more detailed information about what counts as permitted development for a residential property.

Restrictions to permitted development

In some areas permitted development rights are more restricted. 

These areas are:

This means you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types or work that do not need an application in other areas.

There are also different requirements if your property is a listed building. Find out more about how listed buildings affect planning permission.

Removal of permitted development rights

We also have the power to withdraw permitted development rights either:

This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for any work that you want to carry out.

Permitted development rights do not apply to:

  • flats

  • maisonettes

  • mobile homes

  • residential caravans

Find out more about planning constraints

Building without permission

Take care! If you build something that needs permission without obtaining permission, you may be forced to put things right later. This could prove troublesome and costly. You may even have to remove an unauthorised building.

In certain circumstances, such as unauthorised work to a listed building, a criminal breach has occurred. This can lead to immediate prosecution through the courts.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.