Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Christchurch and East Dorset Planning Enforcement

Outside of National Parks Christchurch and East Dorset is one of the most environmentally protected areas in England. Most of the south east of the district is designated as green belt and most of the north west is an area of outstanding natural beauty. Additionally, there are flood plain considerations along our waterways and much of the land is designated and protected by European law in relation to flora and fauna habitats. For these reasons any breach of planning control that cannot be remedied through the planning system will be formally addressed.

It is usual for enforcement notices to be served to support our position in relation to any unresolved breach of planning control. There is a right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate against any such notice.

Even though some matters, e.g. unlawful advertising and unauthorised works to a listed building are immediate criminal offences, we will usually try to negotiate a settlement before considering formal action.

How to report

If you wish to bring anything to the attention of the Planning Enforcement Team, please use our report form:

Start now

Our report form includes a summary of our adopted enforcement policy. From the date we receive a completed form, we have three weeks to investigate the matter and determine a course of action. Progress will not to be published on any website. Any further enquiry you wish to make should be in writing.

Please note: We will only accept complaints in writing. The preferred option is for complainants to use the form. However, we will accept a letter or email, which must include the complainants full postal address.

In addition, please be aware that if you are complaining about an unauthorised use of property, you must supply records / documentation / information in support of your claims. Without such information, we will be unable to process the complaint.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.