Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Planning enforcement in North Dorset, West Dorset and Weymouth & Portland

Report your concerns about a development to North Dorset District Council, West Dorset District Council and Weymouth & Portland Borough Council (the Dorset Councils Partnership). This could be building works or how land or buildings are being used. It could also be works to trees or listed buildings.

Please note

Issues that you report, should be ones that are causing significant harm either to the environment or community. We will only pursue cases that are causing harm and are not able to take action on private disputes.

Before you start

To report the problem online you will need:

  • location details
  • any photos or other documents you want to include
  • a description of what the issue is

Your description can include:

  • what you are worried about
  • when it started
  • what impact it is having on you
  • who was responsible
  • other planning cases that this relates to

How to report

Start now

What happens next

Once you have submitted the online form:

  1. a copy of what you submitted will be sent to your email address
  2. once the case is logged you will get an email that includes a reference number. You should quote this anytime you contact us about this case
  3. the case will be given to an officer who will investigate
  4. the initial investigation could take up to 21 days. The officer will then contact you to tell you:
    • what they have done so far
    • what they will do next
  5. you will receive regular updates until the case is concluded and be advised of the final result

The Local Member for the address to which this matter relates will be notified of your concerns but will not be passed your personal details.

We might:

  • ask the person responsible for the development to submit a  retrospective application. This can authorise the development if the application is approved
  • take formal action to remove or stop the unauthorised development
  • take no further action and close the case

Read our Planning Enforcement Policy

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.