Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Download a paper application form Christchurch

Changes to planning application fees

As of 17 January 2018 the cost of submitting a planning application to authorities in England will be increased by 20%. You can find out more in this blog post from the planning portal about the fee changes. You can also read the Town and Country planning legislation describing the changes.


There are two methods for making a planning application:

1. Submit an online application with the planning portal - We support and promote the submission of planning applications online. The planning portal also provides general information and guidance on the planning process.

2. Download a paper version of a planning form using the planning portals paper form chooser

If you are unsure as to whether you require planning permission, we offer Pre Application Advice. General information about permitted development can be found at The Planning Portal.

Use the national planning fee calculator.

Certificates to Accompany Planning Applications

If you are applying using either the Householder or Planning application form then you will be need to complete an Ownership Certificate of the land (either A, B, C or D).

A notice must be completed and served to all owners of the application site (in accordance with Part 13 of the Development Management Procedure Order).

Site owners are defined as freeholders or leaseholders with at least seven years of the leasehold left unexpired.

Householder Applications

If you are submitting a householder application you need to use the Certificate for Householder Applications, if Certificate B or C is completed.

Non-householder Applications

For all other applications the Certificate for Non Householder Applications is to be printed and served to owners if Certificate B or C is completed.

Where the owner is unknown the Certificate for Non Householder applications with Unknown Owners is for publication in a local newspaper if Certificate C or D is completed.

A copy of the notice must also be sent with the application to the local authority.

Design and Access Statements

A Design and Access Statement is required for an application for planning permission which is for-

  • A development which is a major development
  • Where any part of the development is within a designated area (conservation area), development consisting of
    1. The provision of one or more dwelling/houses; or
    2. The provision of a building or buildings where the floor space created by the development is 100 square metres or more.

The Design and Access Statement shall;

  • Explain the design principles and concepts that have been applied to the development
  • Demonstrate the steps taken to appraise the context of the development and how the design of the development takes that context in to account
  • Explain the policy adopted as to access, and how policies relating to access in relevant local development documents have been taken in to account
  • State what, if any, consultation has been undertaken on issues relating to access to the development and what account has been taken of the outcome of any such consultation; and
  • Explaining how any specific issues which might affect access to the development have been addressed

Bat Surveys

You may need to have an ecological survey carried out by a suitably qualified person prior to applying for planning permission. Our pages relating to Biodiversity Appraisal in Dorset will assist you.

Extant Planning Permissions

Please note that it is no longer possible to renew extant planning permissions, you will now need to apply for a new planning permission.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.