Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Adding or changing the name of an existing house or property

Weymouth & Portland

Add or change the name of an existing house or property

If you wish to change or add a name to your property, please provide 2 options. We will check that your preferred option is acceptable, if not we will check the other option. Otherwise we will contact you to confirm an alternative. You must also provide a plan to identify the exact location of the property outlined in red. You will need to pay the fee directly after you've made your application quoting your reference number.

Approved changes are sent to:

  • internal council departments
  • Royal Mail
  • certain statutory bodies
  • the Emergency Services

If your property already has a number you have a legal obligation to continue to show and use this number.

Where a name has been added to a numbered address the Royal Mail will hold the name as an 'alias' and the name will not always appear on the Royal Mail website.

Not including the property number in your address may lead to difficulties with services and deliveries.


Naming or renaming a building costs £50.

Make a payment

Call our Customer Service team to make payment and quote your reference number.

To pay by BACS you will need to  contact our Customer Service Team and request our BACS details.

Please ensure that you quote the Reference number (SNNWPXXXXXX) on your BACS payment and  email us to confirm you have submitted a payment.

Cheques should be made payable to Weymouth & Portland Borough Council and  posted to street naming and numbering. Please ensure you write the Reference number (SNNWPXXXXXX)  on the reverse of the cheque.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.