Skip Navigation

Permitted development

Find out if you need planning permission, or if your plans fall under permitted development.

Some minor domestic alterations and extensions can be carried out without the need for planning permission. Such work is known as permitted development. Other work, particularly non-domestic development is likely to require permission.

Do I need planning permission?

Whether or not you need to apply for planning permission will depend on a number of factors. These include what you want to do and where, the constraints on and around your property and any work that may have been previously done.

For a brief overview of these factors please see the Planning Portal Interactive House (opens in a new window)

For more detailed information on what constitutes permitted development for residential properties, please see the criteria set out in the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 No. 596 (opens in a new window).

Restrictions to Permitted Development

In some areas permitted development rights are more restricted. If you are within a conservation area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas. 

There are also different requirements if your property is a listed building. Councils also have the power to withdraw permitted development rights either by conditions on previous planning permissions or by an article 4 direction.  This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for any work that you want to carry out.

Permitted development rights do not apply to flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or residential caravans.

Further information can be found on our planning constraints pages.

Building without permission

Take care! If you build something that needs permission without obtaining permission first, you may be forced to put things right later, which could prove troublesome and costly. You might even have to remove an unauthorised building. In certain circumstances, for example unauthorised work to a listed building, a criminal breach has occurred which can lead to immediate prosecution through the courts.

Your Local Planning Authority

In all circumstances, if you are contemplating any works you are first advised to contact your local council about permitted development:

Powered by GOSS iCM