Check your bin collection dates, what you can recycle and what to put in which bin.
Problems with bin collections
The Recycle for Dorset service
- recycling collection using a black wheelie bin with a green lid, a box for glass and a reusable bag for batteries (collected fortnightly)
- rubbish collection using a black wheelie bin (collected fortnightly)
- food waste collection using a brown, lockable food bin (collected weekly)
Bag and box service
An alternative bag and box service is provided for properties that are unable to use wheelie bins.
On your collection day, please
- put the right containers at the kerbside or agreed collection point by 7am (6am if you live in Weymouth and Portland)
- leave your wheelie bins with their handles facing the road and food bins with their handles up
- make sure the lids of your bins are completely closed
- take your empty containers back onto your property by the end of the day
Bin tags and stickers
Reporting a missed collection
If your containers have not been collected by the end of your collection day, there is no reported service disruption in your area and you did not have an advice tag on your container, you can report a missed collection (opens in a new window).
What goes in which bin?
- Check what you can recycle using the Recycle for Dorset service
- Keep glass separate using your green box
- Do not put plastic bags or liners in with your recycling. Put items in loose
- We will collect extra recycling if you put it in your own boxes, keeping glass separate
- All rubbish must be put inside your bin with the lid completely closed or in authorised blue sacks
- We will not collect any rubbish left outside your bin or in unauthorised sacks
Food waste collection
- Use your smaller kitchen caddy to collect food waste indoors and transfer it to your larger food bin outside
- Put your food waste bin next to your recycling or rubbish containers on collection day, with the handle 'locked' and pointing up
- Only use compostable liners or newspaper to line your caddy. No plastic bags, please
Garden waste collection
We also provide an optional, fortnightly garden waste collection using a 240-litre wheelie bin with a brown lid.
Christmas and New Year collections
On the first collection after Christmas we will collect up to two additional sacks of rubbish.
Your normal collection days change over the Christmas and New Year period. Check your collection calendar (opens in a new window) to find out your revised collection dates. Collections on other public holidays are as normal.
Request it, report it or contact us
You can save time and help save money for local services by doing the following online: