Banners over the highway licence
You need a licence to put up banners over the highway.
Cost and payment
It costs £41 per hour of staff time per application. There is no cost to charities.
Credit/debit card payment
Call 01305 224942 to pay by credit or debit card. We accept all major credit and debit cards for secure payment over the phone.
Cheque or postal order payment
Once you have completed the online application, please send a cheque or postal order to Dorset Highways. Make it payable to Dorset County Council, and send to Dorset Highways, Charminster Depot, Wanchard Lane, Dorchester, DT2 9RP.
Please put your address on the back of the cheque or postal order. This should match the address on your application form.
Apply for a banner over the highway
Applications must be submitted at least 3 months before the banner is due to be put up.
The banner over Church Street in Christchurch is available to charitable organisations. If you would like to book this banner space please contact:
Conditions of consent
- You should allow three calendar months for the application to be processed. This allows sufficient time for Dorset Highways to obtain the necessary consent
- The Applicant must ensure that the supports for the banner are adequate
- The lowest point of the banner and catenaries (support wires) must be at least 5.5 metres (eighteen feet) above the road surface
- Erection and dismantling of the banner must be carried out by contractors who are qualified to do so
- You must supply a copy of your insurance policy confirming that public liability insurance is valid for the period of placement of the banner and to the minimum value of £5 million
Any proposals relating to decorative lighting or the proposed attachment of bunting or banners to street lighting columns should be discussed with Dorset Highways first.