Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Dropped kerb licence

You must use Dorset Highways or a contractor who is authorised to work on the highway to put in a dropped kerb or widen an existing vehicle access to your property. 

This page gives you information on what you need to consider before either Dorset Highways or a third party contractor can put in a dropped kerb and will help you decide whether your property is suitable.

Before you start

You'll need to:

  • have at least 5 metres between the back of the pavement and your property so a vehicle can be parked on the driveway without overhanging the road or pavement
  • check if planning permission is needed if you're forming a drive on your property, or if you live on an A, B or C class road, in a conservation area, property with multiple occupancy or listed building
  • get permission from the landowner if you live on a private road
  • request any parking restrictions to be changed (e.g. parking bays, residents parking) to make sure access to your driveway isn't blocked
  • be able to safely get on and off your drive (safe distance from junctions and good visibility in both directions)

If you're happy that your property meets these conditions and planning permission has been granted (if applicable), you can arrange for the work to be carried out by Dorset Highways or your chosen contractor.

Once we receive a licence application from the contractor, Dorset Highways will visit the site to check that it's suitable. If the site is suitable, your contractor will be notified and the work can start.

Information for developers

If you are building a group of houses or other development and the new access is not covered by a section 38 or 278 agreement, please contact us to discuss what you have planned.

Request a quote from Dorset Highways

Request a quote for a dropped kerb from us. As a guideline, a typical 5 metre dropped kerb on a 1.8m wide footway costs around £1800 - £2000

Using a contractor to build a dropped kerb

You can use a third party contractor to construct a dropped kerb. You must make sure that they meet the following requirements:

  • be suitably qualified to work on the highway - this must include supervisor and operative qualifications recognised on the Street Works Register
  • have a minimum of £5 million public liability insurance suitable for highways work
  • apply for a licence from Dorset County Council to allow them to work in the highway and contact us to let us know when the work will be done
  • follow our terms and conditions - the contractor is required to read these when they apply for a licence online

You must pass on confirmation to the contractor that you have checked any planning consent, along with the reference if planning is required.

Dorset Highways will come out to inspect the work and make sure it has been done to our specification. If we are not informed about the work and it can't be checked, it could cause problems if you decide to move from your property.

Apply for a licence to work on the highway

You can apply for a licence if you are a contractor.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.