Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Events on the highway

If you want to hold an event on the highway, you need to apply for a road restriction. 

'The highway' means a road or street, verge, footway or pavement, public footpath, bridleway, restricted byway or byway open to all traffic.

General terms and conditions


  1. by means of application, declare that the section(s) of highway need to be restricted in order to hold a public event which (a.) cannot suitably be held in any location other than the highway and (b.) cannot be held whilst maintaining normal traffic flow, safely
  2. must include a valid insurance certificate (where applicable) on application
  3. may incur a charge (as detailed on this website) for the processing of the application, and without payment in full, licence to restrict the highway may be withheld. *the final decision on the charge applied for the processing of any application will be determined by Dorset County Council
  4. must have consulted and discussed the proposed restriction with those likely to be affected and have uploaded the consultation document detailing those parties contacted and the feedback given (both positive and negative)
  5. agree to provide and maintain all traffic signing, on the extent of restricted highway, including any agreed diversion routes for the duration of the event
  6. agree to provide and maintain advance notice of road closures on the extent of restricted highway. Normal expectations is for this advance notice to be made available two weeks in advance of the event
  7. are responsible for returning the highway to the condition that it was in prior to the holding of the event
  8. agree that Dorset County Council, in it's capacity as Highway Authority, can, at any time, request amendments to proposed restrictions, withhold or revoke a previously agreed licence to restrict the highway
  9. understand the guidance notes provided and will adhere to all responsibilities/duties required by Dorset County Council

Use of personal data

We need to use an applicant’s contact details to fulfil our legal obligations in relation to Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders.

At a minimum, the name and contact telephone number (but we may also use an email address) supplied in an application will be used in:

  • stakeholder consultation documents. Stakeholders include emergency services, bus operators, elected representatives, council services, offices of the Department for Transport and any other relevant parties
  • public notices. These are sent to stakeholders, are published on our roadworks map to be freely distributed and can be displayed on-street
  • fulfilment of any customer enquiry or complaint as appropriate. We reserve the right to redirect enquiries and complaints from members of the public to event organisers
  • any other manner to allow us to meet our obligations

Your contact details will not be shared for commercial purposes.

On the application, you'll be asked to agree to our fair use of your contact details to meet our minimum legal obligations, described above. If you do not accept our use of contact details or require more information about their use, please email to discuss before you apply.

More information about how we comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Apply for a road restriction for an event

We define events according to their size:

  • a special event on or adjacent to the road - an event hosted for a large number of people, as high-profile as a carnival or street fair. Road closures for services of Remembrance during November should also follow this application
  • a street party - a small, local community event attended by local residents and their families and which isn't advertised to the wider community.
  • a motor vehicle trial on footpaths or bridleways

See our advice about the use of banners and bunting over the highway.

Enquire about holding an event on the highway.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.