Traffic counting and survey equipment on the highway licence
You must apply for a licence to place traffic counting and surveying equipment on the highway.
Any unauthorised equipment that is found could be removed immediately and returned to you once we receive payment of a licence fee.
Cost and payment
It costs £70 for each Street (denoted by a Unique Street Reference Number) where equipment is to be placed.
You'll be notified of the total charge before payment is made.
Once you have completed the online application, please call 01305 221854 to discuss payment - we accept all major credit cards (with the exception of American Express) for secure payment over the phone.
Conditions of consent
- A licence is valid for a maximum of 14 days
- A £5m minimum public liability insurance is required along with street works accreditation
- A method statement should accompany the application
- The Licensee shall ensure that the equipment is installed and inspected by a competent and responsible person
- The applicant shall not allow the equipment to be placed any longer than is necessary
- Equipment must not be left in such a location that causes undue obstruction of the highway
- Equipment must be removed promptly upon completion of the survey (with 24 hours of the licence expiring) or whenever required by Dorset Highways
- Faulty or dangerous equipment must be removed immediately upon request or will be removed by Dorset Highways
- This consent cannot be taken as authorising the creation of a nuisance or a danger to users of the highway
- Equipment should clearly display a 24/7 contact name and telephone number, for public use
- The highway shall be left in a clean and tidy condition on removal of the equipment. Any damage shall be reported to Dorset Highways and repaired in accordance with agreed details
Apply for a licence to place traffic counting and surveying equipment on the highway
You must apply at least 2 weeks before the equipment is due to be placed on the highway.