Skip Navigation

Street naming and numbering register

The naming of streets and the numbering or naming of properties is managed by your district / borough council.

They also provide and maintain street nameplates and replace damaged or missing street name plates.

Streets that are created as a result of new building development are given names either by the district council or some town / parish councils under delegated powers.

Your district / borough council is responsible for maintaining a complete list of all streets in its area that includes post codes approved by Royal Mail.

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can additionally name their property without contacting their local council, e.g. Rose Cottage, in addition to a number as long as it does not conflict with an existing property name in that locality. The property name in this case will not officially form part of the property address, and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence. Permission need only be sought from the council if there is no number allocated in the official address (i.e. if the property has been allocated a name as part of its official address).

How do I name my house?

In the case of addresses where there is no number given, the house name forms part of the official address. In this instance property owners wishing to change the property name need to put their request in writing, stating their name, the present full address of the property and state clearly their new preferred name.

We will contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is alright, then the new address is registered and you will be told as soon as possible. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will ask you for an alternative.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, Emergency and Essential Services and other relevant Council Services. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

This service may be chargeable.

Developing a single property/small development - How do I number properties?

If you are a developer of a new property (single or small development), you should contact us as soon as you start work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

If the street has named properties, then the development plot numbers will be used initially to register the property address and later, when the new owner chooses a name, we will follow our standard process of property name change. The information is then sent to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant council services. You will also be sent a copy of the registered address from which we would ask you to inform your purchasers of their new property address.

Developing a large estate - how do I name new streets and number properties?

If you are a developer of a large estate, you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site so that we can process the naming of any new streets and the numbering of your new properties without delay. We will check your suggested street names for duplication in the local area and forward them to Royal Mail for consultation.

When we have an agreed name, we will then register the street name/s and prepare a numbering schedule. The information is then sent to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant council services. You will also be sent a copy of the naming and numbering schedule from which we would ask you to inform all your prospective purchasers of their new property address. Where appropriate, you will be asked to provide new street name plates to our standard design and a cost will be provided at the appropriate time.

What happens if a street needs renaming/renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • There is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering

  • A group of residents are unhappy with their street name

  • New properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties

  • The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services

Existing residents will be contacted and their views taken into account. We will then consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue. To change a street name we will ballot the local residents on the issue. Hopefully there will be 100% support, but we require at least a two-thirds majority to make the change. This a very time consuming process and we are only able to progress one of these issues at any time.

This service may be chargeable.

If you require any further information please contact your relevant district council.

Powered by GOSS iCM