Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

East Dorset District Council Travel Concessions and Travel Tokens

In addition to the national scheme, residents of East Dorset who are entitled to a free bus pass are also entitled to all day travel, not limited to off-peak hours.

This means that residents are able to use their free bus passes at any time of the day and on any day of the week where they board a bus using a bus stop within the East Dorset area.

Residents of East Dorset can use their bus pass throughout England, however they can only be used between 9.30am and 11pm if they board a bus outside the East Dorset area.

Travel Tokens

If you are unable to use a public bus due to a disability, you may be eligible to apply for national travel tokens (also known as 'taxi tokens'). These can be used in some hackney carriage and private-hire vehicles, and on some community transport scheme (eg. Dial-A-Bus).


To qualify for tokens, you must:

  • have a permanent disability which prevents you from using public bus services
  • obtain supporting evidence of your disability from your GP
  • be a permanent resident of East Dorset

Before you use travel tokens, you must first check with the taxi driver or hackney carriage private-hire firm that they will accept them.

Cost of Travel Tokens

Applications for tokens can be made at any time throughout the year, and are awarded with an equivalent value of £40 per year. For applications made between April to June, the equivalent will be £40 of tokens. For applications made after June, the values are as follows:

Applications made in:

  • July to September: £30

  • October to December: £20

  • January to March: £10

Apply for Travel Tokens

The East Dorset scheme is administered by Christchurch Borough Council from the Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, BH23 1AZ. 

To apply, complete and return the  Travel token application form, or you can apply in person to the Civic Offices only - you cannot apply in person at East Dorset District Council (but you can collect an application form in person from the Council Offices, Allenview House, Hanham Road, Wimborne, BH21 1AG).

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.