Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Information and who to contact about roadworks

Who can undertake work and when

Works' promoters, which can include utility companys like gas, water and electric; developers, private contractors and highway maintenance contractors, can all undertake work on public highways, bridleways and footpaths.

Most work is planned and notice period is given. Occasionally, emergency works are required to put to an end a dangerous situation or reconnect customers without a utility service and advance warning does not need to be given, if it can be at all.

Co-ordinating works

Utility companies are currently required to serve "notice" to us. This is not permission, but is a co-ordination tool so that we can, with best endeavours, minimise inconvenience to persons using the street and at the same time, maintain and protect the structure of the street and apparatus in it.

There is a common mis-conception that we "approve" works, we don't, we co-ordinate the execution of works carried out by third parties.


It is the responsibility of the promoter of works to carry out consultation and engagement with affected parties, but this isn't madatory for routine works. You should be contacted if your normal access will be affected, or if there is likely to be some other disruption, like noise. Planned and current works are published on our roadworks map.

In emergency situations, you probably won't be notified personally.


  • access will be maintained to and from residences, businesses, schools, healthcare services etc. as appropriate and access will never be prohibited altogether. Any exceptional circumstances should be conveyed before works start
  • you cannot pass through a closed section of road from one end to the other on a normal journey, you should follow the diversion or use an alternative route
  • council services like rubbish and recycling collections, school transport, library and social services as well as emergency services and bus operators, have been notified of road closures in advance
  • due to the nature of most works, local access arrangements will largely depend on the operational situation on site at any one time and aren’t known in advance. Allow extra time for journeys in affected areas
  • those requiring access may have to wait a short time to pass through, or may be redirected to approach from another direction
  • operatives should be available at closure points who will be able to offer guidance on access arrangements

Contact information

View contact details for organisations who regularly need to carry out work on the highway.

If you know who to contact

If you don't know who to contact

If you don't know who to contact, submit a general enquiry and we will get back to you.


Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.