Skip Navigation

Managing your money

Advice on managing money, including benefits, student finance and discount information.

Find information to help you manage your money, including:

  • how to open a bank account
  • how to budget
  • National Insurance
  • credit and borrowing money
  • student finance
  • restrictions on young people buying goods
  • insurance
  • dealing with debt

The Mix (opens in a new window) provides advice and information to make sure you're in charge of your money and manage it well.

The Money Advice Service (opens in a new window) provides free and independent information about dealing with money, whether you're leaving school, college or university and need to make important financial decisions.

You can also find information through Citizens Advice about young people; money and consumer rights (opens in a new window) and watch a series of short films produced by the Citizens Advice forum, showing how they can help you if you have money or debt problems.

Benefits and tax credits for young people

You may be able to claim certain benefits or tax credits (government payments) if you are:

  • aged 16 or over
  • on a low income
  • looking for work
  • disabled
  • caring for a child or older person

Find more information on GOV.UK benefits calculators (opens in a new window).

If you're disabled you can find information and advice on the  Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (opens in a new window) which is for people who find it hard to work because of a disability or health condition. You may be entitled to claim  other health benefits (opens in a new window) because of a disability or health condition.

Student finance

Courses and tuition are free if you are:

  • still in further education
  • aged between 16 and 18 on 31 August on the year of course enrolment

Further education establishments can advise you on financial support. Check for extra costs such as equipment and books.

For higher education such as university, there will be higher costs involved as universities charge tuition fees. Find out more about student finance at these sites:


We provide a wide range of housing services, such as advice to prevent homelessness, how to apply for housing and tenant advice.

Help with finance for young parents

If you are a young parent (under 20 years old) and want to carry on in education to gain a qualification, Care to Learn could help pay for your childcare and travel costs while you're learning or training.

See childcare funding in Dorset which gives advice on tax credits, 2- to 4-year-old funding and information on childcare fees.

Getting a job

If you are aged 13 to 16 and want to start your first job, you can find employment advice and help in finding a job once you've left education on our education and work pages.

Travel and discounts

See activities for teenagers for information about travel and discounts for young people and students, the Dorset Max Card and general discount advice.

Powered by GOSS iCM