Christchurch Borough Council and East Dorset District Council
In order to meet the two Councils' objectives and deliver services efficiently and effectively, Christchurch Borough Council and East Dorset District Council are working in partnership and have a shared Chief Executive, David McIntosh.
The things that we think are important are set out in our Joint Corporate Plan for 2012 - 2016.
Residents Survey 2015
As part of a bi-yearly survey, residents in Christchurch and East Dorset were asked for their views and comments on a number of key issues including the importance of services in the local area, satisfaction as a place to live, satisfaction with council services and community safety.
In a random sample of 6000 addresses, 2078 completed questionnaires were received.
Download the results of the Christchurch Residents Survey 2015.
Download the results of the East Dorset Residents Survey 2015.
To learn more about the Elected Members from the two councils please see our separate pages on Christchurch Borough Councillors and East Dorset District Councillors.
The Christchurch Borough Council and East Dorset District Council Partnership is organised into seven different service areas:
Community and Leisure
The Head of Community and Leisure is Judith Plumley. The service is responsible for:
- building capacity within community groups and organisations to enable them to take a lead in delivering local services and initiatives
- the development of leisure, sport and open spaces policies and services
- supporting the development of local arts, culture and museums
- the management of beach and river sites in Christchurch and leisure sites in both areas
The Finance management team currently reports directly to Ian Milner the Strategic Director. The service area is responsible for:
- preparing the annual budget and statement of accounts
- advising the councils on all financial issues
- providing treasury, banking and exchequer functions
- undertaking the internal audit of all services
The Stour Valley Partnership provides the Revenue and Benefits Service for Christchurch, East Dorset and North Dorset Councils.
Growth and Economy
The Growth and Economy team currently reports directly to David Barnes the Strategic Director. The service area is responsible for:
The Health team currently reports directly to Matti Raudsepp the Strategic Director. The service area is responsible for:
- public health and protection, aiming to protect and improve the health and wellbeing of residents and visitors to Christchurch and East Dorset and provide support for local businesses in the fields of health, welfare and safety
- issuing and enforcing a range of licenses, permits and certificates, providing advice and support to licence holders and the public
- working in partnership with other agencies to facilitate crime reduction and managing the Closed Circuit Television provision in Christchurch
The Christchurch and East Dorset Councils Strategies, Policies and Plans page includes details of the Partnership's Health Improvement Statement, which is being developed in line with one of the community aims in the Joint Corporate Plan.
The Housing team currently reports directly to David Barnes the Strategic Director. The service area is responsible for:
- Housing services - producing housing policies, improving housing opportunities for local people, operate the housing waiting list and providing advice and support services to vulnerable applicants
The head of the Planning Service is Jane Lynch. The service area is responsible for:
- planning applications and pre-application advice
- granting planning permission under delegated powers or making recommendations to the planning committee
- Planning Enforcement
- Planning Policy
Legal and Democratic Services
The Legal and Democratic Services management team currently reports directly to Ian Milner the Strategic Director.
The Legal Services team:
- provide legal advice on the councils' powers and duties
- draft notices, contracts and agreements
- represent the councils in court, public inquiries and tribunals
- manage Freedom of Information requests and data protection for the councils
The Democratic Services team:
- provide support and procedural advice for the elected Members for both councils
- organise council meetings and committee meetings
- produce agendas, attend meetings and produce written minutes
The Elections team manage elections and produce the annual Register of Electors.
The Organisational Development service is managed by Strategic Director Matti Raudsepp. The service area includes:
- ICT - providing information and communication technology support to the councils
- Human Resources - providing HR support including recruitment services
- Organisational Development - including customer services, communications and strategic change services to support the development of the councils
- Liaison with Dorset Waste Partnership
Property and Engineering
The Property and Engineering service reports to the Strategic Director Ian Milner. The service is responsible for:
- property maintenance and estate management
- coastal defence and maintenance
- land drainage (non-main rivers)
- managing and maintaining pay and display car parks and public conveniences
- licensing of beach huts, moorings and the dinghy park in Christchurch
- the preparation of major incident plans