Dorset local authority workforce profiles
2. Christchurch and East Dorset
Christchurch Borough Council and East Dorset District Council are both committed to equal opportunities, treating all employees, and potential employees, fairly and with respect.
It is important to set the information provided below in the context within which we are currently working. As with the majority of public sector organisations, we are undergoing vast organisational change. In January 2011 we appointed a joint management team with a joint Chief Executive. We have a programme of work, which is continuing, to create a shared service across both authorities and which will inevitably impact our workforce profile.
We remain committed to supporting our staff throughout the reorganisation process through retention, redeployment, progression and redundancy.
We acknowledge there are gaps in some of the data provided. Below is how we intend to address these gaps. The information provided can also help ensure our employment practices and support services continue to assist us in aspiring to the general equality duties.
- the equalities data gathered will help us understand and provide appropriate support to all our employees through our future policies and procedures
- recording data on our employees in relation to sexual orientation, faith, religion and belief and LGBT, is relatively new and further work is required to encourage staff to provide this information
- we recognise there is a significant reluctance to disclose information on Disability. We will work to understand the barriers which prevent staff from declaring this and will proactively focus on improving this data
- providing the data on an annual, rather than a quarterly basis would be more meaningful, as both authorities are smaller in size
- we are unable to produce training data as this is captured at service level
Whilst recording and publishing workforce information is important, we will also use this information in future work which will focus on identifying trends, barriers and progress for our staff in relation to recruitment, retention and promotion.
See current workforce profiles on specific topics: